Getting Married In New Hampshire


You do not need to be a resident of NH in order to be legally married in NH*. A marriage application may be filed for in any town or city within the state of NH. 


*No marriage by parties residing outside of NH shall be construed as legal if the jurisdiction they live in would interpret such a marriage as null and void. This also applies to residents of NH if they are married outside of NH jurisdiction and NH would interpret the marriage as null and void.


It is not legal in the state of NH to marry your first cousin or anyone in closer kinship to you. It is not legal to be married in the state of NH if you are under the age of 18. Exceptions are made if you are a female between the ages of 13 and 17 or a male between the ages of 14 and 17 and have obtained parental permission and a waiver from a superior court or probate court judge.


Both applicants will need to supply proof of age. If any applicant has been previously married they will need to supply a certified copy of a death certificate of former spouse, divorce decree from former spouse or annulment decree from former spouse.

The marriage license will be valid for 90 days from the date of issue. It is not valid until 3 days after it has been issued.

Any couple wishing to marry in NH must appear together at the town/city clerk's office as both signatures are required. Call your clerk's office for exceptions for military personnel unable to appear in person. All couples will be required to pay a marriage license fee.

You can obtain your certified copy from the town/city clerk's office where you filed for your license after the officiant has completed and returned the marriage certificate to the clerk. This will take approximately two weeks. Additional copies can also be obtained for a small fee.

Marriages in the state of NH can be performed by any of the following:

• Justice of the Peace commissioned in NH

• A minister of the gospel in NH who has been ordained according to the usage of his denomination, resides in NH and is in regular standing with the denomination

• A minister within his parish, residing outside NH but having a pastoral charge wholly or partly in NH

• Jewish Rabbis who are citizens of the US and reside in NH

• Quakers

• A Deacon in the Roman Catholic Church ordained according to the usage of his denomination

• Clergymen who are not ordained and non-resident ministers or Jewish Rabbis, after being licensed by the Secretary of State.